1. Let your supreme motive be popularity rather than salvation.
2. Study to please your congregation and to make a reputation rather
than to please God.
3. Take up popular, passing and sensational themes to draw the crowd,
and avoid the essential doctrines of salvation.
4. Denounce sin in the abstract, but pass lightly over sins that prevail
in your congregation.
5. Preach on the loveliness of virtue and the glory of heaven, but not
the sinfulness of sin.
6. Reprove the sins of the absent, but make those who are present pleased
with themselves, so that they will enjoy the sermon and not go away
with their feelings hurt.
7. Make the impression on worldly church members that God is too god
to send anyone to hell, even if there is a hell.
8. Preach the universal Fatherhood of God and brotherhood of man so
as to show that no second birth is really needed.